Thursday, August 5, 2010

Social Construction

Social construction is what we are really talking about these days. This morning on my way to work I heard an article on NPR about the court’s decision yesterday to repeal the voter approved ban on same sex marriage. This is not about my personal view or feelings on the subject (which I’m not shy about), but it seems to really be about what we as a society mean when we use the word “marriage.” It seems clear that the opposing sides won’t find a middle ground at any point in the foreseeable future, but how is it that the simple official definition of a word can give some people extreme happiness while at the same time as giving other extreme sadness. This to me is the most recent example of how we as a society can shape the happiness of our own members through shared beliefs. BTW, I agree with the judge.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of writing about the same subject. Though I wrote on a different subject. Yes, prop. 8 has been a hot topic for a long time. I'm not surprised it passed this year out of all years or time. Because, we're in the years of change and being more open minded. Our generation is more open minded and accepting to changes then the older generations. For me, I'm the type that likes to see both sides of an argument and I can agree with both sides, I find middle grounds in most arguments. Or, I agree to disagree. Plus, who are we as people to say what is right or wrong, let's just show love to all and keep the peace!

    ReplyDelete