Thursday, August 12, 2010

Interesting

I suppose I found the idea of public speaking very interesting. I thought it was interesting mainly because it is what most people classically associate with communication when I tell them that it’s my major. Often we think about public speaking in a way that doesn’t give it the credit I think it deserves. The skills to motivate, emotionally move, and/or tell a story to a large group of people is beyond belief difficult. I have on many occasions had the opportunity address a large group, and every time I am awed at the courage and skill that professional politician, CEO’s and the like posses. Most people are familiar with the butterflies, but to be able to look out to the crowd and flow with ease in and out of often-difficult subjects is amazing. People have to be able to read a crowd and respond to their changing needs and interest. WOW.

1 comment:

  1. I am one of those people you talk about that associates public speaking with the communication major. At my junior college, I loved all the speech classes I was enrolled in. Those courses were the reason I chose to major in Communication. My experience with this major at San Jose State has been very disappointing to me because I was expecting to have more courses and more assignments that involved giving speeches. The skills that you acquire when learning about and practicing public speaking are ones that will assist you in situations for your entire life, both socially and professionally.

    ReplyDelete